Everett John Anderson (1916-1967)
One of the family members I have been researching today is my 2nd great-uncle, Everett John Anderson. He is my great-grandfather, LeRoy Julius Anderson's, younger brother. I mentioned Everett and LeRoy in my blog post last week about their mother, Sophia Carolina Wilhelmina Bjorklund. I know very little about Everett. In fact, the information I found today is more than I have ever known or heard about him. LeRoy died when my mom was so young, as did Everett, my mother also knows very little to pass on down to me.
The main purpose of this blog post today is because after the online research I have conducted, I still do not know Everett's real birth date. This is one of those very interesting circumstances where it seems like every record/index provides a different birth date, which leaves me wondering which one is right.
- 10 October 1916 (provided by his obituary)1
- 11 October 1916 (provided by his Find A Grave memorial page, as well as his headstone)2
- 12 October 1916(provided by the Social Security Death Index)3
- 21 October 1916 (provided by a database on Ancestry titled "Member and Institutional Collections" which is a collection of documents, such as books, vital records, family photographs, obituaries, cemetery photos, etc. - therefore I have no clue exactly where the information came from.)4
Member and Institutional Collections (Birth Date: 21 October 1916)
Documents in these collections are voluntarily submitted by Ancestry members. We take all data "as is" and cannot guarantee the completeness, accuracy, or timeliness of the information contained in this database.
Obituary (Birth Date: 10 October 1916)
Find a Grave memorial and Headstone (Birth Date: 11 October 1916)
Social Security Death Index (Birth Date: 12 October 1916)
- Birth Certificate (I would have to order from the state of Idaho)
- Military records (I have some photos of him in military uniforms, so he likely served in WWII)
- School records (I would have to contact local schools in Idaho where he lived to see if they have any records for Everett)
- Church records (Everett's family was religious, so I could see what church records I could get my hands on)
- Death Certificate (not the best source for his birth date, but it could either provide a new date [face palm] or provide another source for one of the four dates above)
- Newspaper articles (I've learned that you never know what kind of newspaper articles there may be on people until you start looking. For all I know his parents posted something in the local newspaper about his birth)
- Marriage license (Some, not all, marriage licenses I have seen ask for the exact day of birth, not just the person's age)
- Others (I could probably go on and on...)
Did you enjoy this post? Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram where I post other photos and stories about my ancestors.
- “Heart Attack Claims Life,” obituary, Davis County Clipper, Bountiful, Utah, 13 October 1967, p. 6, col. [unknown]; digital image, “Davis County Clipper, 1967-1971,” Utah Digital Newspapers (http://digitalnewspapers.org), accessed March 2016.
- Crystal Burnham, grave marker of Everett J. Anderson (11 October 1916 – 12 October 1967), Bountiful Memorial Park, Bountiful, Davis County, Utah, photograph, uploaded 23 May 2006; digital image, “Everett J. Anderson,” memorial 14361606, Find A Grave (http://www.findagrave.com), accessed March 2016.
- U.S. Social Security Administration, “Social Security Death Index,” Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com), Everett Anderson, SSN 518-07-0863, died October 1967, accessed March 2016.
- “Member and Institutional Collections,” Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com), Everett J. Anderson, born 16 October 1916 in Central, Bannock County, Idaho, died in Bountiful, Davis County, Idaho, accessed March 2016.
- Photo of Everett and Marie - provided by John Anderson, a nephew of Everett.